Saturday, March 10, 2012

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Again, it's been a while since I've blogged anything and I apologize. I recovered from a week of sickness only to get sick again a few days later, and I'm not good for anything when I'm sick (except complaining. I'm really good at that). I appear to be healthier now, so baking should resume shortly. (Arteries, consider yourselves warned!)

Recently, my life has gone through a lot of changes, and since I've been sick, I've had plenty of time to reflect on them. You've probably noticed the first change: I did an overhaul of the blog, and I think we can all agree it was badly needed. And my gorgeous new header? Courtesy of the adorable Katie, a dear friend and fellow blogger. She's actually going through her own changes: She updated her blog layout and, after nearly a year-long hiatus, has returned to blogging as well. Give her a read. I think she's grand. Also, she's been known to dress up like a Christmas tree, so it's worth tuning in simply for shenanigan updates.
Secret: I want to be just like Katie when I grow up. Except without the "being a teacher" part.
There are bigger changes in my life as well. Yesterday was my last day at the office job I've held for nearly two years now — I've been promoted at my company, and it was time to move on. My (now former) coworkers gave me a darling send-off complete with cake, but what was strangest was training my replacement. There are so many little details to look after that it's just plain bizarre to think that I'll never have to notice them again. And of course, it's always strange to leave a place where you know people well. I know I'll miss everyone at the office, even if I don't necessarily miss the work!

Little changes have become really noticeable as well. Since I was sick, my biggest landscape change was moving from my bed to the sofa. I barely left the house for two weeks. Now that I'm healthy again, I'm taking extra joy in going outside and inhaling deeply, enjoying the early spring we're having in California. Being healthy after being sick makes you appreciate the simplest parts in life so much more.

I've also noticed how important moving around the house is. Like I said, my usual spot is on the couch, but I had to write a research paper this week (fascinating topic: European Union-Chinese relations. Read an EU report on the matter here if you're a nerd like I am), and I wasn't getting anywhere on the couch. I picked up my laptop and research and moved to the dining room table.

I googled "writing a paper at a table." Yep, this is exactly what I look like when I write a paper.
(I love stock images so much.)
Just that simple shift to a better place to write helped me tremendously. Sitting up straight, with a solid surface to type on and organize my research, helped me get into a more studious mode and focus on my paper. I wrote my paper in record time. The entire experience reminded me that sometimes it's not just about your headspace; sometimes you need to change your physical space to concentrate.

P.S. As a "sorry I'm terrible at updating gift," here's a link to a streaming "penguin cam," courtesy of SeaWorld and the Discovery Channel. I've spent waaaay too much time today narrating what the penguins are doing in a high-pitched voice. My roommates are sick of it, but now you, too, can enjoy penguins penguining in their special penguin way!
P.P.S. I promise there will be more recipes soon! But let me know if you like these kinds of posts, and maybe I can come up with some interesting points in my life to blog about. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment